MRS Makers First Steps – Setup..
Last Updated: 04.16.2019
IMPORTANT: For this class we will be working on the
First things first, we need to install the cgmToolbox. There are two ways we can do that.
The easiest way to grab our tools is via the single file installer. You can do so here:
- Download this file and put it it in your scripts folder.
- Open maya
- In a python
- When you do this, you’ll get a confirm dialog showing you where it’s detected the install location. You can change if you like. Confirm.
- As long as you have a net connection, this should:
- Grab the latest build from one of our branches
- Download it
- Unzip it
- Move everything to the scripts folder as needed
- Delete the zip stuff.
- Load the toolbox
The other method involves going to our bitBucket repository and manually grabbing the branch you want.
After you have things installed you’ll need a way to keep on the branch you want.
You can use the cgmUpdateTool to grab branches. Make sure you switch your branch to
During the workshop should I post and updated branch you can grab it via this UI. If you’ve run the tool before it should report the update when you hit
Check for updates. If it’s your first time in the branch, it won’t catch that.
Check the doc link for more details on the tool.
We use SourceTree to do our repos work.
If you’re doing code stuff you probably know how to manage that. If not we’ll get back to setting this up later.
With the source tree setup you can:
- Grab build updates
- Grab specific branches
- Make your own Forks/Branches to start making your own stuff
Set our maya prefs
- Up – Y
- Units – cm
- Evaluation – Parallel
Make a project directory and keep your files for this class there so you can find them easily