New Build-a-long | cgmMenagerie
Sometimes the best way to figure out how to teach material is to just teach it. As such we want to do a little production project with our patrons to work through issues with teaching this pipeline. We’ve had this project in mind a while and it’s a good candidate.
What do we want to accomplish?
- Unity testing level (probably replicate in Unreal) setup to look at animations.
- Work through MRS stabilization for our 5.0 release
- Flesh out how to teach the games production pipeline by doing it
- Show how you can use simple proxy geo to test designs in a production environment
Who might be interested?
- Anyone interested in learning a Maya game pipeline that’s free to use
- Any MRS users wanting to see how to use the some of what they know better in production
- Animal aficionados who have a particular animal they’ve always wanted to have a rig of or be able to throw in game scene
- Game maker/tinkerers interested in a library of simple animals with consistent rigs they could potentially use in their projects
Who can join?
- Any active patron. We have some users around the world and the $6 a month is a heavier lift for some than others so the base level is fine.
- Do I have to know MRS? Nope. the rigs we’re making for the project will be MRS but any rigs you make should be able to use the cgmTools pipeline
- Will this cover rigging with MRS? Not in detail. We’ll be iterating on rigs and talking as if you know the system when we’re talking rigs. This push is more about the pipeline and figuring out how to convey that information. We are using this push to help stabilize MRS for our 5.0 release for those users and updating the MRS Makers Workshop as well.
- Will this material be available later? Yes. Our plan is to make this how-to pipeline material in a self guided course with our friends at Rigging Dojo like the MRS Makers Workshop when it’s done. This effort will be much more meandering as we work through friction points.
How can I engage?
- Follow along with the material, providing feedback
- Make an animal for the project. If you have a favorite animal and you know MRS and wanna make it, we’d love to add it
- Animate. Either animate your own mrs rig or we have a pile you can use to animate.
What will this look like?
Our initial plan is something like this – horisontal spread of animals with ability to choose anims, speeds, which animals etc as we go forward. We’ll start simple and build out.
If you’re interested…
Drop us a line here or on our discord to let us know you’re interested and to what degree. We’ll get some new channel(s) and docs rolling as well.
When are you beginning?
This week I’ll start setting things up in unity and getting the pipeline ready. Vids will start this week.
I’ll probably start with this rabbit since I have a looping anim with it. I have a couple from some experiments last year.